Learn How to Type Fast
The ability to type quickly, accurately and without seeing at the keyboard is a huge advantage beside the nature of your work at computer system.
Having good typing skills is essential in today’s society where almost everything is computer based and hence requires typing on a keyboard to input texts and messages frequently.
1. Fast touch typing can save a lot of time at school and colleges when taking notes, writing assignments and chatting with friends online.
2. In the workplace, people who type quick have a natural edge to get more things done and win the acceptance.
3. If you likes chatting and communicates forums, typing fast will save you a lot of time and allow you to say more.
4. For journalists, blogger and writers, skilled typing abilities will help you in your day to day job.
5. For secretaries and administrators, typing is a fundamental job requirement. This is also true for a range of other typing related jobs such as for data entry operators and LDC.
Tips for increasing your typing speed
Body Posture :
This is the basic of learning the typing skills. You have to sit straight with a comfortable height of the chair from where you can see to your monitor. Your end of the palm must be grounded to the end of the keyboard or surface where your keyboard is placed. Place your fingers correctly on the keyboard. Never try to type with your fingertips or nails.
Placement of fingers on Keyboard :
The F and J keys have a raised bar or a dot allowing your finger to identify them. Once you have placed your two indexes on those keys, the other fingers are placed on the keys next to them. 'A' 'S' 'D' 'F' and 'J' 'K' 'L' ';' are the base positions for your fingers. Your fingers go from the base position to the key that you want to press and after pressing the key it backs at base position.
In order to type fast you have to be careful about which finger to use to press a key. Take a look at the drawing below.
Each color match a finger. For example the right index is pink and has to type only the pink keys. Always try to type with both hands. Divide groups in the keyboard for both hands. Always use thumb of any hand for press the space bar.
Memorize the position of Keys :
To become a good typist you have to memorize the keyboard and create a mental map of the associated fingers. You have to be able to press any key without even thinking. For example if I say 'E' you have to think move the middle finger up and press 'E' instantly. You can only achieve this through practice. You have to build up the muscle memory of each finger.
You can type with much more speed without seeing to the keyboard. It is very easy if you practice daily for it. In initial few days let there be mistakes in typing but don't look towards keyboard, instead try to remember the keys.
Use of Shortcut Keys :
Shortcut keys are very handy for computer users. Shortcuts keys help provide an easier and usually quicker method of navigating and using computer applications. While writing content you can easily format the text if you make use of shortcut keys, which will save your further time of formatting the document. Maximize use of keyboard shortcut's instead of using mouse because when you move your hand form keyboard to mouse and again set's to the right key position consumes much time.
Practice makes man perfect :
Without practice no one can be a good typist. Try to give an hour daily as practice session for Typing. You can use IndiaTyping for practice. IndiaTyping will show you real time accuracy, speed statics and it never allows you go further without type correct character for your typing speed improvement.
1) Place your indexes on 'F' and 'J'.
2) Use same finger all time to type each key.
3) Don't look at the keyboard, your eyes should always look at the screen